Mental health and wellness
Running and managing a business can be meaningful and rewarding, it can also be incredibly stressful and isolating for owners, both new and established.
Often the signs of stress are ignored until you’ve hit a crisis point. Stress, anxiety and depression affect many of us from time to time.
When it comes to seeking some help - no issue is too big or too small. Contact and use the below services for free, confidential support.
Beyond Blue have created a new guide in consultation with the Beyond Blue Small Business Reference Group, including representation from Business Tasmania, to support you when you need it. A guide for small business owners has been developed to help identify how you’re coping with stressors in your business and what actions you can take to alleviate them.
Additionally, check out these great resources.
- How to take care of yourself and stay well.
- How to develop a mental health strategy for your workplace.
- How to begin to improve your mental health and wellbeing – or support those around you.
- NewAccess for Small Business Owners is a free and confidential mental health coaching program to give small business owners, including sole traders the support they need.
Beyond Blue’s past and future webinars are a wealth of information, as are their education and training resources, each aimed at increasing understanding and providing practical strategies to support you.
If you are family and friends of a business owner, and are worried or wanting to be proactive in your support, how to support a small business owner is an essential guide. Your close connection puts you in a great position to detect worrying changes in behaviour. This guide outlines actions you can take to support a client, customer, family member or friend without being a trained clinician, including:
- who to contact for immediate support
- what are the symptoms of poor mental health and wellbeing
- how to speak with someone you’re concerned about
- how to help small business owners take action
- how to look after your own mental health.
Lifeline Tasmania - Minding your Business
Funded by the Tasmanian Government, the Minding Your Business program delivers free mental health training and support to Tasmanian businesses.
Lifeline 13 11 14
Lifeline Tasmania - - A Tasmanian Lifeline
Lifeline Tasmania has set up a new service for Tasmanians, specifically to deal with unprecedented demand for information, advice and support because of the coronavirus pandemic, called A Tasmanian Lifeline.
A Tasmanian Lifeline 1800 984 434
Ahead for Business
Ahead for Business helps small business owners take action on their mental health and wellbeing through personalised resources and tools tailored to their specific needs.
Counting on U
Counting on U is a training and research program from Deakin Business School. It’s all about giving business advisers skills in building trust and confidence to support their small business clients through mentally difficult moments and decisions.
Head to Health
Head to Health can help you find digital mental health services from some of Australia’s most trusted mental health organisations.
Other support services:
- Mensline 1300 789 978
- Suicide Callback Service 1300 659 467
- Rural Alive & Well 1800 729 827
- SANE Australia 1800 187 263.
If life is in immediate danger, please call 000.