The Australian Taxation Office have fantastic, easy to understand resources on their websitef or people starting and running their own business, to help you be compliant and efficient with your tax and employee contributions. They detail things like:
- tax implications of each business structure (more on that here)
- PAYG and Single Touch Payroll
- records you need to keep
- reporting and paying tax
- deductions you can claim.
From 1 July 2008, any employer who pays wages to employees in Tasmania is liable for payroll tax in Tasmania where:
- their total wages paid in Australia are greater than $1.25 million per annum
- they are a member of a group with total Australian wages exceeding $1.25 million per annum.
The State Revenue Office in Tasmania provides detailed information about this to help you meet your obligations.