COVID-19 Safety Plans – what businesses need to do
The Safety Plans outline how each workplace will comply with minimum standards to manage the ongoing risk of spreading COVID-19 in workplaces, helping businesses protect their workers, customers and suppliers. For more on how the virus spreads and how to lessen the risk, please see this page.
Most workplaces that have continued to operate will likely be able to demonstrate that they meet the minimum standards in the measures they have already applied.
Step One – Resources, templates and assistance
There are resources available – including guidelines tailored to different types of businesses – to assist in developing COVID-19 Safety Plans. The resources include:
- Tasmanian Government COVID-19 Safe Workplaces Framework available at this link
- COVID-19 Safety plan small business template for businesses with fewer than 20 employees
- COVID-19 Safety plan medium business template for businesses with more than 20 employees
- COVID-19 Safety Plans fact sheet available at this link
- COVID-19 Safe Workplace Guidelines for different types of businesses available this link
- A Checklist available at this link. The checklist outlines how to keep your workers safe and to help you start to think about what to include in your COVID-19 Safety Plan
- Signage and posters for your workplace are available at Safe Work Australia’s signage and posters- COVID-19 webpage at this link and the Tasmanian Government’s Coronavirus website at this link
- Other COVID-19 industry specific resources can be found here
For assistance with your COVID-19 Safety Plan, contact:
- WorkSafe Tasmania Advisory Service Ph 1300 366 322 www.worksafe.tas.gov.au
- Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry Ph 1300 559 112 www.tcci.com.au
- Enterprise Centres Tasmania Business Advisory Service Ph 1800 440 026 www.business.tas.gov.au
Business Tasmania Hotline (1800 440 026) is also available for general business enquires.
Other information relating to the Tasmanian Government’s response to the COVID-19 is available at https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/
Step Two - How to comply
Keep your completed COVID-19 Safety Plan at your workplace: you do not need to submit them to WorkSafe Tasmania. That way, if an inspector visits, you can use it to show how you are complying with the minimum standards.
You will also need to show an inspector any processes/procedures you’ve put in place to implement your safety plan. The inspector will check to see that your plan and procedures are being applied in your workplace.
Stickers and Posters are also available to promote the existence in your workplace of a COVID-19 Safety Plan. This is not a Government endorsement or accreditation of your plan. It does, however, help workplaces to communicate with workers and customers that measures are in place to increase their health and safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. More details on COVID Ready Stickers and Posters are available at this link and you can register for COVID Ready Stickers at posters at this link.
FAQs and videos
This video was filmed by Business Tasmania with Ken Nolan, WorkSafe Tasmania Advisor, to show you exactly how to form your COVID-19 Safety Plan. The FAQ as a result of that video are listed below the video in eight categories. See it all here.