Thinking of going into business
Owning and managing your own business can be a rewarding experience – if you have what it takes and know what it needs.
Wanting to earn more, be independent, do something different or get out of a frustrating job isn't enough.
You need to be the kind of person who can get a business started and make it a success.
Think about the ways your strengths and weaknesses in the following areas might impact on your business:
- Are you a self-starter? Can you motivate yourself or do you need someone else to get you started?
- Do you relate well to other people?
- Are you a leader? Can you get most people to go along with you or do you prefer to stand back and let someone else get things moving?
- Can you take responsibility? Do you like to be in charge and see things through, or would you prefer someone else run the show?
- Are you organised?
- How hard do you like to work? Do you keep going until you achieve your goal?
- Do you make good decisions quickly and easily?
- Are you healthy?
Your answers to these questions may help you realise that:
- operating a business is exactly what you should be doing
- you should find a partner who can complement your strengths
- going into business isn't the right decision for you right now.